• Blog >
  • Help for elders who are victims of violent crimes in California

Help for elders who are victims of violent crimes in California

If you are a California resident aged 65 or older and were the victim of a violent crime you may be entitled to compensation for expenses actually incurred from the California Victim Compensation Program (CalVCP). Additionally, if you are the spouse, domestic partner, child or relative of an elderly victim of violence you may also be entitled to collect compensations for certain expenses that you have become responsible for as a result of the elder’s injuries.

CalVCP may help pay for expenses related to elder abuse (click here for additional information).

These expenses must be verified and meet CalVCP criteria before payment can be made:

  • Medical and Dental Treatment
  • Home Security
  • Mental Health Services
  • Relocation
  • Income Loss
  • Crime Scene Cleanup
  • Funeral and Burial Expenses
  • Home or Vehicle Modifications
  • Loss of support for dependents when a victim is killed or disabled

If you are an elder who has been abused, you should know you are entitled to pain and suffering as well as other damages that this program cannot cover but which may be recoverable in civil court. I hope, however, that this resource can offer much needed immediate help to those elders, or their families, who have incurred expenses following a violent crime.